Bellingham

Originally known as ‘Bellinchamp’ (pretty fields), Bellingham begins its story in 1693 when Hollander Gerrit Janz van Vuuren and his French Huguenot wife planted the first 1000 vines on the estate. Through ages of farming families, the modern renaissance of the Bellingham Estate in Franschhoek began in the 1943 when Bernard and Fredagh Podlashuk purchased the somewhat dilapidated and derelict farm and began restoring the property. 

With help from 13 Italian prisoners of war, they replanted the vineyards.  After traveling to Europe hungry for knowledge, they returned and released the first rosé in the Cape in 1949.  Their ‘Premier Grand Cru’ was the first dry white blend when it was released in 1951.  The first single varietal Shiraz was bottled at Bellingham in 1956. 

« Back to South Africa